Honours even at Ageas Bowl

30_04_14 Afternoon session

Published: 30th April, 2014

Rory Burns made an unbeaten 53 as the game against Hampshire ended as a draw on the final day at the Ageas Bowl. Surrey closed on 99-2 after the hosts had declared on 400-6 with no agreement able to be reached between the two sides to forge a positive result.

After a thirty minute delay due to overnight rain Hampshire resumed on 289-3 and Matthew Dunn made an immediate breakthrough when he had Will Smith caught by Graeme Smith at first slip for 23.

James Vince started his morning with a boundary and a thick outside edge from Joe Gatting to the third man rope took the hosts past 300. Surrey took the new ball as soon as it became available but Vince continued to play extremely well and moved to his 150 from 173 balls, an innings that contained 23 boundaries and had begun on Sunday.

Stuart Meaker ended Gatting’s stay at the crease when he flicked a delivery straight to Dominic Sibley at midwicket on 11. And Tom Curran finally ended Vince’s innings on 159 when he found his outside edge and Steven Davies took the catch to leave Hampshire 351-6.

Sean Ervine and Michael Bates too the hosts to the lunch interval and after the break the Hampshire pair took their side to 400 when the declaration immediately arrived. Smith and Burns opened the Surrey reply but the captain departed in the third over when he was LBW to James Tomlinson for 3.

Burns was joined by Dominic Sibley and the Surrey pair got their heads down in the face of some good bowling from Hampshire. They played patiently as the hosts made life difficult and strung maiden overs together.

Sibley found the boundary on a couple of occasions through the legside and Burns was watchful as they moved Surrey towards the tea interval. The partnership was worth 44 when a mix up saw Sibley run out for 20 as the batsmen ended up at the same end.

Surrey went to the interval with the scoreboard reading 47-2 and in the first over after tea Burns took the score past fifty with a handsome boundary off Tomlinson. Zafar Ansari got off the mark with a cut off Ervine to the cover point rope and Burns began to look in his best form playing nicely off both front and back foot.

Burns moved to his first Championship fifty of the summer from 115 deliveries an innings that had contained seven crisp boundaries. Ansari played one memorable cut shot off Coles for four and with Surrey 99-2 the players shook hands as they settled for the draw just after 5 o’clock.

A frustrating four days at the Ageas Bowl where the weather ultimately had the final say and Surrey leave with seven points as they turn their attention to the start of the Championship game against Kent on Sunday.

Graeme Smith spoke to Surrey TV after the final day at the Ageas Bowl. To hear his thoughts watch the video below



Join the Facebook Discussion


Auto Draft
Auto Draft
Auto Draft