Published: 12th July, 2018
Surrey welcome Essex Eagles to the Kia Oval on Thursday for our third match in this year’s Vitality Blast South Group.
Jade Dernbach’s team are on the hunt for their first victory of the season after tight opening week defeats to both Middlesex and Kent.
With several of Surrey’s internationals unavailable for the first two fixtures, the side can now look forward to the arrival of Australian power hitters Aaron Finch and Nic Maddinson ahead of this one.
Essex meanwhile have recorded one victory and one loss so far. Their win came against Middlesex on Friday after defeat to Sussex on the opening night of the competition on Wednesday 4th July.
Here are five facts you need to know ahead of Essex’s trip to the Kia Oval on Thursday:
- This will be the 26th T20 match between the teams after eight wins for Surrey, 15 wins for Essex and two abandoned matches
- Surrey enjoyed an excellent campaign against the Chelmsford side, winning by two runs at Essex and 10 runs at the Kia Oval
- Ben Foakes’ current average of 97 is the fifth highest in the competition behind Alex Davies, Ian Bell, Laurie Evans and Colin Ingram
- Essex are one of seven counties never to have won the country’s Twenty20 competition. Derbyshire, Durham, Glamorgan, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and Yorkshire are the other six
- Essex are the only team in the country to have fallen victim to a five-wicket haul so far after David Wiese took five in their defeat to Sussex
Tickets are available for Surrey’s five remaining Vitality Blast home fixtures at the Kia Oval, with entry for U16s just £1 for the matches with Glamorgan, Sussex & Hampshire.