Published: 20th April, 2017
Following a strong start to the Specsavers County Championship season, Surrey head to Edgbaston tomorrow to take on Warwickshire for the second time in three games.
Claiming victory by an innings in the opening fixture, followed by a hard fought draw a week later against Lancashire, many of the squad have played themselves into fine form and will want to build on early momentum. Three of the top four have already hit centuries, with the other, vice-captain Rory Burns, batting fluently for scores of 71 and 91 in the first two matches.
Five key stats to know before Surrey’s trip to Birmingham:
- Surrey have won four successive matches versus Warwickshire, having previously gone five meetings without a win against them (D2 L3).
- Surrey have only lost once in their last nine outings (W4 D4).
- Kumar Sangakkara (253) and Mark Stoneman (232) have scored more County Championship runs than anyone else so far in 2017.
- Three of the last six County Championship hundreds registered by Mark Stoneman have come against Warwickshire, including his 165 in the reverse meeting earlier this month.
- Mark Footitt has claimed five-wicket hauls in each of his last five County Championship matches.
Not secured your Membership yet? Make sure you have before Surrey’s next home fixture against Essex on 2nd May when white ball cricket and the Royal London One day Cup returns to the Kia Oval.