Tremlett’s six give Surrey chance

Cricket - LV= County Championship - Division Two - Surrey v Glamorgan - Day Three- The Kia Oval

Published: 12th May, 2014

Surrey require a further 228 runs for victory against Gloucestershire after closing on 41-0 on the second day. Chris Tremlett’s 6-59 saw the visitors all dismissed for 230 in their second innings and Graeme Smith (34*) and Rory Burns (6*) guided Surrey through to stumps.

Surrey began on their overnight 118-6 in their First Innings but to the third ball of the morning Jason Roy was LBW to James Fuller for 44. And in the second over of the day Tremlett was caught behind off Graeme McCarter for 19 and both unbeaten batsmen from the opening day had departed.

Matthew Dunn got off the mark with a handsome drive down the ground to the Pavilion boundary but on 8 he was dismissed by Fuller to leave Surrey 130-9. Zafar Ansari, hampered by his injured elbow bravely joined Tim Linley in the middle but Linley was the last man to go for  as Surrey were all out for 132.

Gloucestershire had a valuable lead of 36 and the opening pair of Michael Klinger and Chris Dent set about extending it before lunch. Both played sensibly and ran well between the wickets as Surrey strove for a breakthrough.

The Gloucestershire opening pair rounded off a good morning for the visitors by guiding their side to the interval with the scoreboard reading 55-0 and the lead worth 91. After lunch Linley made the breakthrough from the Pavilion End when he caught Klinger on the crease and trapped him LBW for 33.

Dent continued to play nicely as he was joined by Will Tavare and they moved the visitors past 100 as the lead continued to grow. Tremlett came back into the attack from the Pavilion End and immediately brought Tavare’s innings to an end on 11 when he swung one back and caught him plumb infront. And Gloucestershire were suddenly 106-3 when Tremlett had Alex Gidman caught by Smith without scoring in the same over.

Dent moved to an excellent fifty but Tremlett then had him brilliantly caught by Dominic Sibley for 54 to claim his third wicket in six balls. Tremlett was bowling beautifully and picked up his fourth wicket as he struck Benny Howell on the pads and the Gloucestershire batsman departed LBW for 7.

And Tremlett claimed his fifth wicket in an inspired spell as he knocked out Cameron Herring’s off stump without scoring to leave the visitors 133-6. Amongst the wickets Hamish Marshall was batting nicely and he joined forces with Fuller as they added a valuable 27 runs. Just before the tea break Dunn claimed his first wicket of the innings when he had Fuller caught behind for 12 as Gloucestershire went to tea with the scoreboard reading 162-7.

After the interval Marshall and Graeme McCarter played positively looking for quick runs and McCarter was particularly effective until on 20 he top edged a pull off Tremlett and Roy took the catch.

Ian Saxelby came to the middle with a runner and helped Marshall take Gloucestershire to 200. Tom Curran brought Saxelby’s brave effort to an end when he bowled him for 20 but he had helped Marshall take the lead past 250.

Marshall continued to play very well but an excellent piece of work from Dunn saw Matt Taylor run out without scoring leaving Marshall unbeaten on 47 as the visitors were all out for 230. It meant the winning target for Surrey was 267 and Smith started positively finding the boundary with regularity.

The captain dominated the scoring as Burns played sensibly at the other end and Surrey reached 41-0 until bad light brought a premature end to the day’s proceedings with Smith unbeaten on 34 and Burns 6*.

Surrey will arrive at the ground tomorrow knowing they require a further 228 for victory and another fascinating day awaits.


Join the Facebook Discussion


Auto Draft
Auto Draft
Auto Draft