The Kia Oval has become only the third venue in the UK to be awarded ECOsmart Platinum status by international corporate travel, meetings and events firm Greengage Solutions.
The listing recognises the long-term focus Surrey CCC have placed on ensuring sustainability is at the heart of the Club’s work and is an improvement on the previous ‘Gold’ status the ground was awarded earlier this year.
The only two venues in the country to hold the listing are 15 Hatfields in London and Wyboston Lakes Resort near Cambridge.
As part of this commitment:
- Every drink bought at the ground is served in a reusable, recyclable glass. Disposable pint glasses have not been used since 2015.
- All other drinks are either served in cans or decanted into reusable glasses or carafes from glass bottles.
- Fourteen water fountains have been installed around the ground to allow fans to refill their own bottles.
- Fans are allowed to bring empty refillable coffee cups and water bottles into the ground, which will be filled by all vendors around the Kia Oval.
- All electricity at the Kia Oval is generated from renewable energy.
- All conferences and events at the ground are serviced by filtered water in reusable glass bottles that are then retained, washed and reused for future events.
- Where appropriate, all food is served in compostable packaging and the ground has installed a comprehensive compostable waste stream, solving a problem where food waste would spoil large parts of the Club’s dry mixed recycling.
- The Club has instigated a procurement strategy focused on ensuring vendors sell products that have fully recyclable or compostable packaging.
- Kitchens at the Kia Oval use an ‘Orca’ machine which processes food waste into a liquid that be disposed of using the regular drainage system.
- The shop at the Kia Oval offers recyclable paper bags rather than plastic bags.
- Plastic straws and sauce sachets have not been used at the ground since 2018.
- The Club always seeks to partner with likeminded organisations and charities to allow us to constantly improve and innovate.
Emily Pritchard, Head of Conference and Event Sales at Surrey CCC, said: “To achieve Platinum status so shortly after being awarded ‘Gold’ is a testament to constant improvement we are seeking in our sustainability practices.
“To be one of only three venues to have achieved this designation is very rewarding and will only inspire us to continue to improve and manage the impact our ground has on the environment.”
You can find out more about Greengage Solutions’ ECOSmart awards here.