The Kia Oval has been listed in the top 10 venues and suppliers of sustainable events in a recent feature by Event Industry News.
Focusing on the ever increasing importance of ensuring every event makes the least impact on our natural world, Event Industry News profiled 10 venues and/or event suppliers who stand out in this field.
Key concepts include the protection of the natural environment, choice of non-toxic materials, reduction and reuse of resources, waste minimisation, and the use of life-cycle cost analysis.
In every decision made, from the bottom up, the ground is proud to be playing its part in reducing the capital’s carbon footprint, helping to educate event attendees and highlighting the behaviours needed to help reduce the ground’s environmental impact.
To find out more about hosting your event at The Kia Oval, click here.
The work we do to minimise our carbon footprint includes:
• Every drink at the ground is served in a reusable, recyclable glass and ceramics, or compostable containers.
• Fourteen water fountains have been installed around the ground to allow guests to refill their own bottles.
• All electricity at the Kia Oval is generated from renewable energy.
• All events at the ground are serviced by filtered water in reusable glass bottles that are then retained, washed and reused for future events.
• Where needed, food is served in compostable packaging and the ground has installed a comprehensive compostable waste stream, solving a problem where food waste would spoil large parts of the Kia Oval’s dry mixed recycling.
• The Kia Oval has instigated a procurement strategy focused on ensuring vendors sell products that have fully recyclable and/or compostable packaging and sustainable food sourcing.
• Kitchens at the Kia Oval use an ‘Orca’ machine which processes food waste into a liquid that be disposed of using the regular drainage system.
• Plastic straws and sauce sachets have not been used at the ground since 2018.
• The Kia Oval always seeks to partner with likeminded organisations and charities to allow us to constantly improve and innovate, including Plastic Planet